Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cookbooks

My mom have a good range of cookbooks, but four of them are the ones referred to the most:

i) Better Homes and Gardens' New Cookbook (Hardcover, 1968)

ii) McCall's Cookbook (Hardcover, 1963)

iii) Amy Vanderbilt's Complete Cookbook (Hardcover, 1961)

iv) Ellice Handy: My Favourite Recipes (Paperback, fourth edition, 1974)


Except for the first one, all the others are out of print. All the cookbooks above are passed-down to me.

I bought the 11th edition of Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (1997) ...the old one was just too frequently handled, dog-eared, and stained with oils, syrups and what not.

A hallmark of these classic cookbooks are clear, concise and easy-to-follow recipes. They are usually tried and tested so there's no problem with it being too bland, too dry etc.

Family recipes passed-on from one generation to another is the main selling point of Amy Vanderbilt's cookbook. She provide anecdotes and advice in a very omniscient way...it's as if she's there with you.

Sometimes, just looking inside these books have made me realize just how much things have changed. Ellice Handy provide coconut milk-making tips and made-from-scratch puff pastry recipes in a time where it's readily available in cartons and frozen food departments of supermarkets.

Others, like Better Homes and Gardens, have adapted to the times, which is probably why it's the only one among my cookbook collections in print. The recent one provides nutritional analysis of each recipes; how much more time is needed to bake muffins if it's in larger tins; how to measure spaghetti before boiling to get the exact serving you want per boil; and using egg substitutes in recipes calling for eggs.

I thank my mom for passing-on the books to me. Yes, I still use them especially for basics like roast chicken and pizza base. Interesting cookie recipes are a boon for my Hari Raya celebrations. Oh, and I still need to refer to the books even for some recipes which are real easy (like cabbage in coconut milk - I open Ellice Handy's book), I don't usually remember recipes by heart like my mom, who is a fantastic cook.

In time, I'll pass down these books to my daughters, who I hope will find cooking a joy and made easy with these user-friendly cookbooks.

1 comment:

  1. sadly, my mom's cookbook got lost.
    i love my cookbooks. My favourite is by Chef Wan.
    His masak melayu recipe is simple and there's not much to be modified for my humble kitchen. And the cakes - turned out good; as per 'instruction'.
    boyhh...am now hungry at 2am

    ReplyDelete