Monday, December 27, 2010

readers' digest condensed

i fell ill with food poisoning over the xmas weekend. while spooning in my chuk (porridge), i went back to my vast (ha, ha) collection of reader's digest condensed books. i have been fixated on these tomes since i was a teenager. my dad used to get them. these books offer three to five novels, in a condensed form. i still think it's value for money, and today, i can only find these books in secondhand shops in amcorp mall, chowrasta in penang, garage sales, and flea marts overseas.
so, i picked one which i had bought for RM8 at a bookshop at the penang chowrasta market. i whizzed through dick francis who writes on horse racing but i got stuck on a war story, all about fighting. wasn't in the mood for that. and that's the beauty of these condensed books - different stories in one slightly heavy tome.
am better, after the chuck and beehoon soup, and a terrific read.

2 comments:

  1. Omg, it's nice to know you still have them...I love them! Not only are they value for money, ...they offer all sort of stories like thriller, action, drama, romance etc...My dad used to keep loads of those books and whenever I get bored, I just pick one which I want to read depending on my mood....am wondering what happened to my dad's collections....must have given it away and ended up at those 2nd-hand bookstores you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i thought i was the only one so kiasu as to collect these 4-in-one offers!

    ReplyDelete